- 575g cooking apples (Bramley or another English variety)
- 75g golden granulated sugar
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 300g plain flour or 200g plain flour + 100g ground almonds
- 125g butter
- 125g demerara sugar
- 1 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Place in a saucepan with the sugar, cinnamon and 3 tbsp water, cover and place over a low heat for 5-10 mins, allowng it to cook until the apples are beginning to soften.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
- Put the flour (or a mixture of flour and ground almonds) in a bowl, add the butter, cut into small chunks, and rub it in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add 125g demerara sugar and stir well.
- Put the apples in an ovenproof dish, cover with the crumble mix, sprinkle over 1 tbsp rolled oats and 1 tbsp demerara sugar and bake for 30-40 mins until golden.
- Remove and leave to rest for 5-10 mins, then serve warm with vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream.