Chicken and apricot tagine
- for the tagine:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 chicken thighs, skinless
- 4 echalion shallots, peeled and cut in half lengthways
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 400ml chicken stock
- 6 tbsp apricot jam (we used reduced sugar Streamline for extra healthy points)
- 400g chickpeas, tinned, drained
- salt and pepper to season
- to serve:
- 150g freekeh or couscous
- zest of a lemon
- 220g Tenderstem broccoli
- small bunch of fresh coriander
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas4.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish until sizzling hot.
- Brown the chicken on all sides, remove and set aside.
- Turn down to a medium heat, add the shallots, put the lid on and cook for 5mins.
- Add the crushed garlic and the spices.
- Add the stock, stirring well, then the jam.
- Return the chicken to the dish and add the chickpeas, season and stir to coat everything.
- Put the lid back on and cook in the oven for 10mins.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook for another 20mins until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- While the chicken is cooking, put the couscous or freekeh in a bowl and stir in the lemon zest, then continue to prepare as per the pack instructions.
- Steam the Tenderstem for 3-4mins until tender.
- Fluff the couscous or freekeh with a fork and tip into a large serving bowl.
- Stir in the coriander, tenderstem and olive oil and season to taste.
- Divide between four plates and top with the tagine.