Pulled beef brisket
Author: The Q Guild - qguild.co.uk
- 1.3kg lean brisket joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 2tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 100ml prepared barbecue sauce
- 2tbsp runny honey
- 4tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 300ml good, hot beef stock
- 2tsp smoked paprika powder
- Baguettes or bread rolls, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas 2.
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and season with salt and pepper all over. Brown the joint on all sides and transfer to a large ovenproof dish.
- Add the remaining oil and cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 mins until soft. Transfer to the casserole dish with the joint.
- Add the tomatoes, barbecue sauce, honey, Worcestershire sauce, stock and paprika. Bring to the boil, cover and slow roast in the oven for 3-3.5 hours until the beef is tender.
- Transfer the beef to a clean chopping board and pull the cooked beef apart by securing the joint with a fork and shredding the meat with another fork.
- Pile the pulled brisket in baguettes or rolls, spoon over the sauce and serve with cucumber and onion relish.