- For the pudding:
- 75g plain chocolate
- 50g butter
- 300ml milk
- 65g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- ¼ tsp vanilla essence
- 125g fresh white breadcrumbs
- For the sauce:
- 100g plain chocolate
- 3tbsp golden syrup
- 75ml single cream
- For the pudding: Break up the chocolate and place in a mixing bowl, add the butter and stand over a pan of simmering water until melted. Remove bowl from the heat and stir until smooth.
- Warm the milk in a pan over a low heat then stir gradually into the chocolate and butter mix. Next, add the sugar and stir in.
- Beat the egg yolks in a jug and add the vanilla essence. Add to the chocolate mixture, stirring to combine. Mix in the breadcrumbs.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites. When stiff, fold carefully into the chocolate mixture using a metal spoon.
- Turn mixture into a well-greased 900ml pudding mould. Take a large piece of foil, fold a pleat in the middle and us this to cover the dish. Tie string around and loop over the top to make a handle.
- Place on a trivet in a large saucepan, pour in enough boiling water to cover the trivet, cover and leave over a medium heat to steam for 1½-2 hours (topping up the water as necessary) until risen and springy to the touch.
- Leave to rest for 10 mins or so to allow the pudding to shrink away from the dish sides and then turn out of the mould onto a serving plate.
- For the sauce: Break up the chocolate and melt in a mixing bowl over simmering water. Remove from the heat and stir in the golden syrup. Place the cream in a pan and heat gently. When warm, gradually stir into the chocolate mixture. Pour over the pudding to serve.