Chicken, bacon and leek pie
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 onions, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 50g smoked bacon lardons
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 800g chicken, diced
- 50g plain flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 800ml chicken stock
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 250g shortcrust pastry
- 1 beaten egg
- Preheat oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- Cook potatoes in salted boiling water for 10 mins or until tender.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onions, celery, thyme and bacon with a pinch of salt and 1tsp sugar, and cook gently until the onions are soft.
- Add chicken and cook without colouring for about 10 mins.
- Add flour and slowly stir in lemon juice and stock. Bring to the boil, then turn down heat and simmer until sauce thickens. Add leeks and cook until tender, then gently stir in the cooked potatoes.
- Take off the heat and stir in the crème fraîche and parsley.
- Taste and season with salt and black pepper, then spoon into a round pie dish and leave to cool.
- Put a pie prop in the middle of the mixture.
- Roll out pastry, allowing enough for a good overhang all round.
- Drape it over the top of the dish, make a hole in the centre to let prop push through, then brush with the egg.
- Bake for 30–35 mins until pastry is golden and the meat is cooked through.