- 250g ready made puff pastry
- 350g fresh spinach
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh marjoram
- 200g ricotta cheese
- 50g parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs, hardboiled
- 1 egg for glazing
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Wash the spinach, slice it and blanch in boiling salted water for 2 mins. Drain immediately and very thoroughly.
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic, add a little oil to a pan over medium heat, add the onion and, once soft, the spinach and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 mins. Remove from the pan and leave to cool.
- Finely chop the parsley and marjoram and when the spinach is cool, stir in the herbs, ricotta and parmesan.
- Dust a work surface with flour and roll out ¾ of the pastry thinly. Grease a 20cm tart tin with olive oil, line with pastry, leaving the edges to spill over and fork all over.
- Add spinach and ricotta mixture. Use a spoon to create 4 small nests in the ricotta and carefully add an egg into each nest.
- Roll out the remaining ¼ of pastry and cover the tart with it. Wash the top with beaten egg and gently fold up the edges from the bottom and seal by pressing down the edges.
- Use a knife to pierce small holes into the top (not directly above an egg) and brush with the beaten egg. Bake for 30-35 mins.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool in the tin, and serve sliced with buttered baby potatoes and salad.