Strawberry & chocolate ganache roulade
- 150g strawberries + extra for decoration (we used Viva)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp heaped of cocoa powder & extra for dusting
- 100g unrefined caster sugar
- pinch cream of tartar
- For the ganache & decoration
- 250g plain chocolate, broken up
- 15g butter, softened
- 380ml double cream
- icing sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- Butter a 32cm x 23cm Swiss roll tin and line with greaseproof paper.
- Whisk egg yolks until thick and creamy then slowly beat in cocoa powder and half the sugar.
- In a separate bowl with clean whisks, beat egg whites until they form soft peaks, then gradually add remaining sugar mixed with the cream of tartar.
- Beat a spoonful of egg white mix into the yolks to loosen, then gently fold the yolk mixture into the whites with a metal spoon.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 15 mins until cooked through and springs back when you touch the centre.
- Cool for 5 mins and turn onto a large sheet of greaseproof dusted with cocoa powder.
- Gently peel off the paper, roll up in new paper and leave to cool.
- Put the chocolate and butter in a mixing bowl.
- Heat the cream in a pan until almost boiling, then pour over the chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Refrigerate for 10 mins until firm.
- Chop half the strawberries into small pieces and stir into half the ganache.
- Unroll the sponge and spread with ganache.
- Slice remaining strawberries and lay on top of the ganache.
- Re-roll the cake carefully.
- Spread remaining ganache over the cake, top with strawberry slices, dust with icing sugar and serve.