Peanut butter parfait
Author: The Duke of Wellington Inn, Newton
- 300g smooth peanut butter
- 6 tbsp Frangelico liqueur
- 225ml double cream
- 750g caster sugar
- 12 eggs (6 left whole, 6 separated)
- 500g double cream, semi-whipped
- Line a 1.2 litre loaf tin with cling film. Whisk the peanut butter, Frangelico and 225ml double cream to a paste. Set aside.
- Put 450g of the sugar, 6 whole eggs and 6 yolks in a stainless steel bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk until light and mousse-like (a sabayon). Set aside.
- Place the remaining 300g sugar in another pan with 9 tbsp water. Heat gently to dissolve the sugar then rapidly boil for 2 mins to make a sugar syrup. Meanwhile, whisk the 6 egg whites to stiff peaks. When the sugar syrup is at 115C (the temperature is important so use a cooking thermometer), stream it into the egg whites, continuing to beat until the mixture is stiff
- and shiny.
- Fold the sugar egg whites into the peanut butter mix and then fold in the sabayon and the 500g double cream. Then fold the egg white mix into the peanut butter mix
- Pour into the tin and freeze for 6 hrs or until solid. This will keep in the freezer for a couple of weeks.