Perfect for a Christmas starter or a late night treat. The chutney is great with cheese too.
Paul Johnson's Potted duck & chutney
- 6 duck legs
- 500g duck fat
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 orange, zest
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- For the chutney
- 200g dried apricots
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 450ml cider vinegar
- 225g Demerara sugar
- 1 shallot, diced
- 50g dried mixed fruits
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 20g grated fresh ginger
- For the chutney, put all ingredients into a saucepan and simmer until cooked out to a thick chutney consistency.
- For the duck, preheat oven to 120C/Gas ½.
- Place the duck legs in a deep tray and cover with the duck fat, place in the oven and cook for 3 hours.
- Remove from the oven and pick all the meat before adding thyme, orange, garlic, salt and pepper, and mixed spice.
- Add some of the duck fat to make a moist consistency and mix well.
- Pot into Kilner jars and set in the fridge.
- Serve at room temperature with chutney and warm toast.