Chinese mixed mushroom curry
Mushrooms are a classic ingredient in Chinese cuisine. With this curry, we highlight many types of cultivated mushrooms. From eryngii to enoki, shimeji to shiitake, the different mushrooms add something, whether it’s taste, texture or visual. You can use any cultivated mushrooms here, just add the larger ones first and the more delicate ones to the end. Go foraging in the farmers’ markets or supermarkets and see how many kinds you can find… Steamed rice is the perfect accompaniment.
Author: Michael Hyams & Liz O’Keefe, The Mushroom Cookbook
- 10g/2 tsp turmeric
- 10g/2 tsp coriander seeds, freshly ground
- 2 red chillies, chopped
- 5g/1 tsp ground cumin
- 30g/2 tbsp grated fresh root ginger
- 10g/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 15g/1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 2.5g/½ tsp sugar
- 15ml/1 tbsp solid coconut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 portobello mushrooms, quartered
- 400g horse, button (white) and/or chestnut mushrooms
- 30g/2 tbsp cornflour
- 50ml sherry
- 15ml/1 tbsp soy sauce
- 300ml mushroom stock
- 1 pack enoki, separated
- 1 pack brown shimeji, separated
- 2 eryngii, sliced lengthways
- 200g mangetouts
- 2 carrots, peeled and shaved
- 2 bulbs of pak choi
- In a small bowl, combine the turmeric, coriander, chillies, cumin, ginger, fenugreek, curry powder and sugar.
- In a wok or large pan, heat the coconut oil until it melts then add the spice mixture and stir-fry for 1 min.
- Turn the heat down and add the garlic and onions, coat with the spice mixture, and cook for 5 mins (add a little cold water if the pan becomes dry).
- Turn the heat to a simmer, add the portobello, button, chestnut and horse mushrooms and 30ml/2 tbsp cold water, and cook, stirring for 5 mins.
- In a small pot, jug or pitcher, blend the cornflour with the sherry and soy sauce and add it to the wok.
- Add half the stock, cover and simmer for 20 mins.
- Add all the remaining mushrooms, the mangetout and carrot, and the rest of the stock.
- Simmer, covered for 10 mins then add the pak choi.
- Simmer, uncovered for a further 10 mins.
- Serve with steamed rice.