Mrs Higgs' Potato & Mont d'Or tear & share pie
- 1kg potatoes
- 1 onion
- 6 mushrooms
- 150ml crème fraîche
- 2 round ready-rolled puff pastry sheets
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped chives
- 1 800g box Mont d'Or cheese (only available September-May)
- 1 beaten egg to glaze
- Peel and boil the potatoes.
- While they are cooking, peel and chop the onion.
- Fry gently in a little rapeseed oil until transluscent.
- Dice the mushrooms and add to the onion.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain then mash them with the crème fraîche.
- Stir in the onion and mushroom mixture and the chopped chives.
- Set aside until thoroughly cold.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
- Lay out the first circle of puff pastry.
- Remove the lid from the Mont d'Or then place the box in the centre of your pastry and score gently with a knife (you are not aiming to cut through the pastry, merely marking the space to leave for the cheese).
- Remove the cheese then spoon the potato mixture in a ring around the scored centre.
- Leave a 2cm margin around the outer edge and paint this with the egg wash.
- Lay the second circle of pastry over the top then pinch around the outer edge to seal.
- Push the cheese box into the well in the centre.
- Egg wash the pie then cut slices all the way round the ring.
- Carefully lift the first slice and turn it on its side to expose the potato mixture.
- Continue all the way round until you have turned each slice.
- Egg wash any newly exposed pastry.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 45–60 mins.
- Leave to rest for 10 mins or so before serving, then put it on the table and invite everyone to tear off a piece at a time and dunk it into the rich and oozing melted cheese.