Beetroot, raisin & stem ginger pudding
- 3tbsp golden syrup
- 100g vegetable suet
- 80g dark brown sugar
- 100g raisins
- 50g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 50g self raising flour
- 1tsp ground mixed spice
- 125g plain cooked beetroot
- 3 eggs
- 100g stem ginger, finely chopped
- Pour the golden syrup into a 850ml pudding basin well greased with butter and set aside.
- Mix suet, sugar, raisins, breadcrumbs, flour and mixed spice.
- Purée beetroot in a food processor, add eggs and blend.
- Pour into mixing bowl with stem ginger and stir thoroughly.
- Pour mix into the pudding basin, pat down, cover with a layer of baking paper and tie securely with string, then cover with a double layer of foil.
- Carefully lower into a large pan of hot water, ensuring water comes no further than half way up the basin.
- Cover with a lid and simmer gently for hours, topping up water if necessary.
- Carefully lift the pudding out of the pan, remove foil and greaseproof and invert onto a serving plate.
- Pour over a ladle of flaming brandy, then serve with custard, crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream.