Andrew Wilkinson's Winter red cabbage
- 1 red cabbage
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 juniper berries
- 2 cloves
- 200ml red wine vinegar
- 200g brown sugar
- 2 medium red onions
- 3 apples
- 30g butter
- 100g sultanas
- ½ bottle red wine
- 30g honey
- Thinly slice the red cabbage and marinate for 24 hours with the cinnamon, juniper and cloves, add red wine vinegar and brown sugar, mix, cover and place in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, thinly slice the red onions and apples, sweat down in a knob of butter for a few mins, add sultanas and marinated red cabbage, and sweat for a further 10 mins.
- Add the red wine and turn heat down and place a lid on, cook for 1 hour until all wine and vinegar is reduced and the cabbage is cooked through.
- The cabbage should be sweet, sour with a hint of festive spices.
- Add a good dollop of honey to finish - the perfect accompaniment for Christmas day roasts.